Monday, February 7, 2011

News, Scones, and a New Semester!!

Razzleberry scones: These raspberry white chocolate low-fat scones are to DIE for!!! Recipe ahead








Winter lovin'
: My boyfriend Bill & I in Florida over Christmas break. We took this after a nice long walk around his dad's neighborhood.


Hey folks! It has been just about 3 years (I'm sad to admit) since my last posting, but I have decided to revisit my blog and make it new and improved. My goal is to post at least every other day, even if it is just a short thought, story, prayer, recipe, or other tidbit. A lot has happened since I last wrote.

Here's a short update:



I am now in my last semester at the University of St. Thomas. I will be graduating in May with a Bachelor of Arts (Political science major, Spanish & Catholic Studies minors). I am loving living in a house this year with one of my best friends, Maria. We have a huge kitchen and lots of good space so I have been making lots of recipes and enjoying the quiet away from noisy dorm life (even though that was a blast too). I am taking 3 classes this semester: Intro to Art History, Europe & the Church, and a Senior Seminar in Judicial Politics. So far, I'm just about a week in, but they are all going to be great classes and without a doubt I will learn a lot. I will also have a few things keeping me busy as well this semester: Volunteers in Action (VIA), editing "The Signature" newsletter, and planning a service day for April. In addition, I have all sorts of hobbies, books to read, recipes to try...so there is rarely a dull moment! I have also made a commitment to go to daily mass again, so I am trying to stay on top of that and really savor my moments with Our Lord.



Another big piece of news: I have a job! I will be returning to Indiana in June to begin a management position with a major retailer. I will have several months of training and then will start my position around August/September. It is a huge blessing to know I have a job and will be working this far out before graduation.



Also for about 13 months I have been in a relationship with a wonderful man named Bill who is from Indiana like me. (We went to high school together) However, right now he is also in college, but in Florida, so we are long distance. I will be giving some updates/stories on what it's like to be in a long distance relationship as well as some tips for those of you who may be in long distance relationships yourselves (many people are for at least some point of their lives...). Above is a picture of the two of us from our trip to FL over the holidays when I got to meet Bill's dad and spend some cold, breezy days at the beach.


Tonight, I tried a little experiment. You see, I absolutely LOVE the raspberry-white chocolate scones that the little local coffee shop sells. They are to die for! So, I have been on a recipe binge lately and have been trying to eat more healthfully, more local, and a lot less prepared foods. Long story, but I used to be a vegetarian (for 9 years!). Although I am not one anymore, I'll explain that in another post, I still try to eat a lot of veggies, beans, whole grains, fruits, etc.

Anyways, I used a recipe that I found online which was taken from an old "Cooking Light" magazine, modified it significantly and it was a grand success!


Heart healthy raspberry/white chocolate scones
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 2 tbsp reserved)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup sugar (plus 2 tbsp reserved)

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp rock salt/sea salt

3 tbsp butter (or buttery spread)

2/3 cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk made by Silk and available at most stores)

1 tsp vanilla

1 large egg

1 egg white

3 pieces of Ghiardelli white chocolate, crumbled (you can buy one large bar in the baking aisle)

1/2 cup raspberries (I used frozen)



1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.



2. Mix together dry ingredients (flours, powders, and salt) in one bowl and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter.



3. In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. (egg, vanilla, milk)

4. Mix two bowls' contents together until just mixed. Fold in raspberries and white chocolate.



5. Flour a sheet of waxed paper and form a circle of dough on the sheet. Sprinkle reserved flour on top of circle.

6. Cut into 8 wedges and brush egg whites onto the top of each scone. Sprinkle reserved sugar on scones.

7. Bake on a non-stick or aluminum foil covered baking sheet for approximately 20 minutes or until the bottom of the scones are golden brown.



8. Cool on cooling racks and ENJOY!!! Best enjoyed fresh. :-)


In light of the recent events and unrest in Egypt, I would like to offer a prayer for peace of heart and mind from a little book I have called "The Armor of God" by Fulton J. Sheen.


O God, from whom are holy desires, right counsels, and just works; give to Thy servants that peace which the world cannot give; that our hearts may be disposed to obey Thy commandments, and the fear of enemies being removed, our times, by Thy protection, may be peaceful.

Through Our Lord, Jesus Christ, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, for ever and ever. Amen.


St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us!


Our Lady, Queen of Heaven, pray for us!


No comments: