Sunday, February 20, 2011

A snowstorm...again? Okay!

Great sledding potential: The snow has been falling all day in MN!

It has been snowing and blowing literally all day! It is hard to believe how quickly the weather changed from 45 temp days with lots of sun and with folks wearing shorts & flip flops to a frozen tundra (but at least the temps are in the upper 20s, that feels nice). That is Minnesota weather for you. Personally, I am pretty happy. My school has decided to cancel classes tomorrow which is not a common occurence in the slightest. Also, I don't really have any place where I need to drive to, so I am not freaking about getting somewhere, but rather just enjoying my time by working on homework, working around my house, BLOGGING, and staying warm inside. I did venture out earlier today for Mass, brunch at the SPO Women's House and my Volunteers in Action meeting on campus. I will admit, reluctantly however, that on my way to Mass when the snow was just starting to fall, I completely wiped out. I was body down on the sidewalk. Fortunately...no injuries, but it was hilarious to me. There is a layer of ice that has now been covered in snow which is a pretty scary situation. Fortunately, if you walk in the road, it is much better. The slick parts are all the sidewalks.

Before I went to Mass this morning, I tried out a new recipe from SPARK Recipes, which is a great site of healthy recipes submitted by normal folks for Zucchini muffins to bring with me to Brunch. I imagine it is hit or miss, and in this case it was definitely a hit! I am putting the link below for those who may be interested in trying it out. Just a heads up, the recipe makes 2 dozen muffins, so half it if you just want a dozen. I'm glad I caught that or I would have had a LOT of muffins.


Recipe for VERY yummy, low-fat & calorie (88.5 calories a pop) whole wheat oat bran zucchini muffins!



Today, my MOH (Maid of Honor) Maria and I have been creating a mix of songs for the bridesmaids. Just a funky, fun mix of music. I gave her some suggestions, but she is doing the majority of compilation. I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks. We have been doing a bit of work on the guest list (that's a hard part!) and getting some packages ready for the bridesmaids to send this week. I'm going to be booking the church this week, and start looking into reception venues once we have a finalized initial guest list. I may have to put off deciding on a reception hall until I am home over Easter. I am a visual person, and it would be great for Bill and I to view the possibilities together rather than just looking at photos online.


I want to emphasize that wedding planning is certainly not the only thing Bill & I are up to when it comes to preparing for marriage. In fact, preparing for the marriage is way more important than the wedding details themselves. Today we did the first meditation of a little devotional called "The Pearl of Great Price" by Julie McCarty. It is based off the model of Lectio Divina or "divine reading". Each meditation has a scripture passage to read and reflect on separately, and then a reflection, meditation, and prayer to do together. It was written for engaged and married couples and the first reflection was a very beautiful one. To quote McCarty, "Every engaged couple has dreams for their future together. Some of these dreams will come to pass, and others may not." The scripture used for this reflection is from the first chapter of Luke which narrates the Annunciation, Visitation, and birth of Christ. The reflection goes on to examine the expectations of the Holy Family, Mary and Joseph particularly as they prepared for their marriage. They most likely had very different expectations than what the Lord was planning for their lives. Yet...they were willing to drop these desires because their biggest desire was to fulfill the will of God the Father. Oh, how I really do long to wrecklessly abandon myself to God in each and every decision of my life. I pray that God might give me the grace to do so more and more each day. I pray for...humility.
I think for tonight the spirit has prompted me to close with a prayer about the virtue that often gets a bad rap: humility. It shows us the greatness of being meek and pure of heart. If you'd like to listen to this as a song, check out Danielle Rose's "Litany of Humility" on youtube or buy it on iTunes. You won't regret it....it is beautiful!
Litany of Humility
Written by: Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val,
Secretary of State for Pope Pius X
O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled...
From the desire of being honored...
From the desire of being praised...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted...
From the desire of being approved...
From the fear of being humiliated...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes...
From the fear of being calumniated...
From the fear of being forgotten...
From the fear of being ridiculed...
From the fear of being wronged...
From the fear of being suspected...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I...
That in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease...
That others may be chosen and I set aside...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that
I may become as holy as I should...

2 comments:

William said...

Amen to that. This is a wonderful prayer that turns over every part of ourselves to the Lord. Even the desire to be holy....wow!

Liz said...

Yes, that line strikes me the most too...in desiring that others become holier than us if that is what God wants is tough, but sooo freeing if done whole-heartedly.