Monday, March 14, 2011

Mom knows best


An Untoppable Chicken Salad: Mom's Recipe

Since returning to the carniverous world, I hadn't tried my mom's world-famous (in my opinion) chicken salad. Growing up most of my life I had always had her special tuna salad (I'll share that recipe a different day) but not the chicken salad.

Yesterday (Sunday) I took her recipe, went shopping, and made myself a large batch of it. It's good on sandwiches, salads (especially spinach), on crackers, and eaten by the spoonful. And maybe there are even more possibilities.

Anyways, it was TERRIFIC....yesterday I had it in a toasted sandwich and today as a salad. :-) My mom has made this for bridal showers/baby showers/pitch-ins and more. She told me that one time she used 24 chicken breasts....that's a lot of chicken salad!

I decided to make the lowest fat version as I could attempt, so I decided to nix the nuts and use low-fat Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil (green lid), non-fat Cool Whip (Target brand), and non-fat Jimmy's Slaw Dressing. Depending on where you shop, you should be able to find similiar products that will keep your recipe low in fat. I bought my ingredients at Target.

4 large chicken breasts (baked and torn into pieces)
1 lg. apple (peeled and shredded)
2 cups green grapes (halved)
1/2 cup celery (diced)
1 cup Mayo
1/2 cup cool whip
1/2 cup slaw dressing

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 1 hour. Makes 4-5 servings.

I give it an A+. Make sure that your chicken to dressing proportion is correct. I did not initially make enough chicken (I have small chicken breast tenderloins in my freezer) so if you are not using large chicken breasts, you need to use at least 7 tenderloins, minimum.

I hope that you all enjoy this recipe and give me your feedback! :-) Blessings on your Monday.

Ideas of what you want me to blog about? Comments are always welcome and appreciated!

No comments: