Monday, January 16, 2012

My goals for 2012

A picture of me at a recent "Catholic Business Exchange" event in Indianapolis
Thanks to Denis Kelly for capturing it! http://www.deniskelly.com/



Well...I have not blogged since May 2011....while that's a bit of a bummer, I am ready to start afresh in the New Year since I am now settled in and while life has taken a lot of twists and turns since then, I am very excited about what the future holds.

I do not normally do "resolutions" since I like to reassess my goals on more of a monthly basis than just annually, but regardless, I have 7 personal goals that I really want to accomplish in 2012.

1. I want to read more- fiction especially! I just finished my first fiction for the year- "One wonderful thing" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and am getting started on my second, "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.

2. I want to expand my repertoire of recipes, especially INDIAN! I love eating Indian but have always been too timid to try making it. With a large Indian population in Indianapolis, I have no excuse because I can get all of the authentic spices and ingredients at little Indian groceries under 5 minutes from my house. I may also try to learn how to cook Cuban for my dear fiance who will not know what to do once he can't eat Cuban food every day near his college.

3. I want to run the Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis. I have signed up with the particular intention of dedicating my training with the intention of the increase of awareness of vocations in the Church- priesthood, religious life, sacred single life, marriage: what's your vocation?! I last ran a BIG race in Washington DC, the Cherry blossom festival 10- mile race in 2010 so I have a lot of work to do to get ready.

4. I want to resume writing my book. It is a book/testimony to long-distance relationships and in particular, how to successfully discern marriage in a long-distance relationship as a Catholic man or woman. I hope to include stories of people I know (as well as my own) that went the distance in their relationships.

5. I want to finish planning a successful wedding for October 2012 when I will marry the love of my life and begin married life.

6. I want to be more involved with the pro-life movement. I recently attended a talk by Bryan Kemper http://bryankemper.com/ who is a pro-life giant here in the U.S. He debunked the idea that certain people are CALLED to do pro-life ministry, but rather, we must all see that over 53 million of our brothers and sisters have lost their lives to this genocide called abortion and put an end to this horrific legacy that began 39 years ago by the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade. The toll on life and stakes are too high to be quiet! I plan to do this by being a prayerful presence at the abortion clinics, writing politicians/companies that endorse or support abortion, blogging/posting regular about life issues on facebook, and making conscious political decisions in the upcoming elections.

7. I want to blog more...I would like to blog at least twice per week...help keep me honest on this!!

What are your goals for 2012?

In the spirit of setting goals, I remind myself that Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta said "You are not called to be successful, only faithful." My prayer this year is that I might be faithful to my professional and personal commitments and that I might do all things for the greater glory of God. Mary, Mother of God, pray for us!

No comments: