Thursday, January 19, 2012

The need for silence

Today was a very quiet day in the office, and around 10 am it started snowing, a beautiful soft snow that covered the ground very quickly but didn't accumulate too much. It was the most serene thing coupled with the fact that there were only 3 of us in my office today.

To be honest, silence makes me a little uncomfortable and if you would ask my peers, I think about 95% of them would agree with me. Sure, I have silence when I go to sleep and I think silence is really important during prayer, but the rest of my days are normally filled with conversations, music/TV in the background, my phone buzzing, the heater roaring, etc. Yet, today I relished in the quiet and I think that I could get used to this. Silence allows us to think out loud, allows for creativity in work & play, and allows God to speak to us, if we have ears to listen.

No comments: